The Wild Bunch (1969)

OK, OK, I know, I THOUGHT I had seen this one before but...I hadn't. Shame on me, I know... I can retort this, however, and say that I'm normally not a fan of the Westerns genre.

The story is about a bunch of misfits who have a plan for one last robbery before they all go their separate ways. It's a rugged older bandit who leads the group but, as things are, the 'Wild' West isn't as wild anymore and things aren't as loose as they once were in regards to bank or train robberies. When one of these bank robberies goes wrong, the group heads out on the run from a hired mercenary for the train company. There is more to it but the core of the film is the change in the world as well as the constant hunt and pursuit of the wild bunch.

I have seen Peckinpah films before and this one isn't much different in regards to how it can be formulaic. It also uses the landscapes as a 'character', much like John Ford films. There is also an element of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid feel to it as the wild bunch run down to Mexico to escape. The good thing is, both the wild bunch and the mercenaries pursuing them have a good dynamic.

The movie runs to about two hours and fifteen minutes but it moves along pretty well. I wasn't ever 'bored' with the content as they kept changing main ideas and venues, in a good way. There is the 'cheese' factor of paint 'blood' which is always laughable these days, but it didn't really matter enough to detract from the film.

Overall, it was a solid story with solid acting and solid scenery which all came together well. As I said, I am not usually a fan of Westerns but this one sold me.

Yes, I'll recommend it.

Comments