A Man Called Otto (2023)

It's Tom Hanks. Do I really need more of a reason to watch a film?

The story is about A Man Called Otto. He's old. He's grumpy. He's a HOA guy without and HOA. Neighbors move in across the street. He remains grumpy. He is trying to kill himself (no spoilers on why). As the film progresses, he finds himself more capable of managing things than he had.

My review is kinda silly but the core is that he is a grump who wants to kill himself and never seems to manage. There are flashbacks to his life that give more clarity. The neighbors start becoming friends more than strangers. There is a cat.

I simplify but don't want to give away too much. One fun thing was that Tom Hank's son, Truman, plays the role of Tom Hanks as a younger version of himself so it works. Tom does great, as always. It's weird seeing him in a permanently grumpy mode.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It had some good messages. I do, however, feel it could have been twenty minutes shorter and still got these messages across. There was a point I was like, OK, we get it, he's trying to kill himself.

Yes, I'll recommend it.

Comments