Murder Mystery 2 (2023)

I looked back at my previous rating for Murder Mystery and apparently I wasn't as much of a fan as I remember. Thankfully, this second one in the franchise was pretty funny.

The story continues following Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston as they give up their jobs and become (failed) detectives. When they receive an invite from the Maharajah to his wedding, all expenses paid, they fly away for a weekend of fun. And, instead of murder, this time they are trying to catch a kidnapper. Hijinks, and a body count, ensue.

I might not have thought highly of the first one but I did get some good belly laughs from this one. It just has charm and the Sandler/Aniston relationship pays off like it does in several of their films together. It almost felt like Sandler was returning to form from the Billy Madison, Waterboy, Happy Gilmore days.

The story is silly but there were some fun things. As with most murder mystery type of films, I figured it out early. It was the fun along the way that made it more fun though. I will say that every time, in any film, that I see Mark Strong, I immediately get 'Take Me Home, Country Road' in my head. #MerlinForLife

Overall, I went into this with low expectations and came out enjoying myself more than I thought I would. It was a step up from its predecessor.

Yes, I'll recommend this one, just don't expect a deep mystery but instead take it for a fun series of hijinks.

Comments