Save Yourselves (2020)

Watched this one through a MoviesAnywhere pass from a friend. I've liked Sunita Mani in most everything I've seen her in so this one was one I'd been interested in.

The story is of a couple who decide to go offline for a week and use a cabin in the woods that a friend offers. During their time there, the Earth is invaded by aliens and basically humanity is destroyed. Because they are off the grid, the couple doesn't know what is going on. They see an alien 'puff' and realize things aren't what they seem.

The pairing of the two main actors worked. They were both solid in their roles. The writing, when it came to technology addiction and the lure of instant access to everything, was well done. It's when the alien story gets into play that things fall a little apart. The 'puffs', which are the aliens, have random powers and weaknesses. I never truly got a sense that this species could take over ANY world, let alone Earth.

I think, for me, it was the ending that really kinda pushed this down a star in the ratings. I won't spoil it but it was very unrewarding, IMHO. It felt far too ambiguous for my liking. I don't always need a 100% defined answer for closure, but this one felt like it should have at least gone a step further and given us SOMETHING.

Overall, both actors did great in their roles. Two-thirds of the story was solid while the other third dropped the ball, IMHO. Honestly, if the film had just been about how technology influences our lives, it would have been perfectly fine leaving it there.

I'll recommend it, mostly for Sunita, but it's not a film you need to rush to see.

Comments