Striking Distance (1993)

I never bothered with this one before as the movie poster made it look like a direct to video one and I don't ever remember hearing of it. My friends in my movie group recommended it, however, so I got a movie pass and looked into it.

The story is of a police officer who turns in his partner (and cousin) for being overly aggressive with a suspect. This, in turn, makes the rest of the police force shun him. At the same time, a murderer is running loose and is taunting the police. It's up to Bruce Willis to get him but, in a turn of events, the bad guy barely escapes and there is aftermath. Fast forward two years and Willis now works as a river cop with a new female partner. And guess what, the murderer pops up again, this time taunting Willis.

My thing with this is that there was supposed to be this big reveal late in the film but it was so forecast, I was wondering if it was just me that saw right through it. They plant a red herring in there but it is so 'look at me, look at me' that it couldn't be the case and, I was right...

The movie is a typical 1990s cop type of film. They all followed a similar formula. There were no surprises. It was just...there. If Bruce Willis hadn't been in it, it might actually have been a direct to video release but back then he was at the height of his popularity following Die Hard a few years earlier.

Overall, it was middle of the road for me. I'd much rather go back and watch Die Hard for the umpteenth time than watch this one again.

I'll recommend this but only if you have nothing better to do.

Comments