Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (2022)

I went into this one with the dread of A24 but with the high praise of fellow cinephiles. It's the first A24 family film.

The story follows Marcel the Shell and his grandmother who live in an AirBnB. When s guest comes and starts filming then for YouTube videos, Marcel's life changes. The guy doing the videos and Marcel sin become friends as they work together towards a common goal.

This film was stop motion and, if I remember correctly, done by two people over the course of a couple/few years (I may be wrong). It was up for an Academy Award for animation but Guillermo del Toro beat it for Pinocchio. (Which I believe was the right call).

Overall, this one had some heartwarming story and cute characters. I didn't get as connected as I would have hoped but it was fun to watch. I'll likely watch it again down the road.

Yes, against my previous bias against A24, I'll still recommend this one for the whole family.

Comments