Knock at the Cabin (2023)

I'm always on and off with M. Night Shamalamadingdong. Sometimes I like his stuff but usually I'm not as keen on it. This was a middle of the road one for me. It had some good and some not so good.

The story is about a couple and their adopted daughter in a cabin in the middle of nowhere. From there, a group of four doomsayers politely come to the cabin asking to talk. They are there to tell the couple that if one of the three doesn't voluntarily kill another in their family, the apocalypse will begin and billions of people will die. From there, it is a back and forth from the two different groups where one is fully committed to this belief and one thinks they are crazy.

The things that worked for it is that it was difficult to tell where it was going. There were things in motion that could have been coincidental but, maybe not. The 'could it actually be happening' mindset is partially up to the viewer.

I did look into the ending from the book it was adapted from and I like that one better. Shamalamadingdong made up his own ending which wasn't horrible, but in my opinion it isn't as solid as the book ending. I'm not sure why he went this way, especially considering the book was supposed to be a very popular one and he followed it closely for 2/3 of the film (from what I've read).

My only other complaint is that the adopted daughter was good in the first ten minutes and then was almost completely forgotten for the rest of the film. Yes, she was there and was recognized, but had she not been there, it wouldn't have mattered a lick.

I don't know, this is a semi-philosophical one but even then, the choice shouldn't have been difficult. But hey, then we wouldn't have had a movie. Oh, and one other thing, it was impossible to look away from Dave Bautista when he was on screen. He played the character really well and was the central figure in a way that makes it hard not to pay attention to him.

Overall, yes, I'll recommend it, but it's not a 'rush to see' kinda film. It is currently streaming on Peacock.

Comments