It Should Happen to You (1954)

Since I'm on a Jack Lemmon run right now, I figured why not go in on his first motion picture. He came out of the gates swinging with his acting. (This is a good thing, I don't mean he overdid it).

The story is about Gladys Glover, a 'nobody' in New York who is tired of people not noticing her. When she runs into a documentary maker in Central Park, he offers some advice which she takes to heart. From there, she rents out a massive billboard across the street from the park with only the words Gladys Glover painted on it. From there, her life begins to change as the mysterious words begin gathering a buzz.

I will say that, for most of the film, the character of Gladys was crazy as crazy can be. If they need an example of narcissism for a Psychology course, the first half of this film fits the bill well. Her character was unusual, to say the least. She was more like a child, in many ways.

Jack Lemmon is the only one near her who lets her know that her newfound fame will be fleeting and that it is what is on the inside that counts. He did a great job in his role. I do, however, think they played him as a bit too aggressive in some scenes.

Overall, it was an entertaining film. The ending, for me, paid off the rest of the film. I was going to come in complaining about a couple of things but they were resolved in a solid manner so I don't have any arguments.

Yes, I'll recommend this one. If anything, now you can use Gladys Glover in conversation! :)

Comments