Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)

I know, I'm long behind the curve on watching this one. I always thought it was some pompous British film about life in the country. Yes, really. But then my friends made me watch it.

The story centers on a group of seedy real estate sellers who push and push to sell land parcels in Florida.. When the big boss comes by and says that they are all fired and that only two of them can get their job back, it becomes more of a matter of going even further to sell, ethically or not. There is more but that's the core.

It's is based on a stage performance which comes across in the room as it is dialogue heavy. That's OK, in this case, as the dialogue is meaningful, in most cases. I didn't feel bored by any of it but I did have my favorite characters.

Speaking of characters, I didn't even bring up the recognition that this one has everyone that is anyone. It stars Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alan Arkin, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey, and Alec Baldwin. For such a strong cast it was great to see Jack Lemmon being the superstar and blowing his competition away, IMHO. It's actually one of the best roles, if not the best, I've ever seen him in.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It's not flashy. It's not overloaded with budget. Instead it feels like a bunch of desperate salesmen doing what they need to provide, whatever it takes.

Yes, I'll definitely recommend this one.

And remember, coffee is for closers!

Comments