Sing Street (2016)

I was recommended this one by a couple of different people so I finally watched it. I'm glad I did.

The story focuses on a teen in an Irish Catholic school who has trials and tribulations attending. When he approaches a female model across the street, he invites her to be in his band's music video. Thing is, he doesn't have a band so he has to build one to get the girl.

This one was set in 1980s Dublin and features musical styles from that time. As his band grows, so too do his musical methods. It's like listening to an entirely new 80s soundtrack of songs you've never heard but can easily become earworms. It had nothing to do with zombies but I definitely got an Anna and the Apocalypse vibe from it, which is a good thing.

The relationship between the main character and the girl is important but the relationship between him and his brother seemed, to me, to be even more relevant and interesting. The bond the two have over shared experiences with life and their family is strong.

Overall, this was an enjoyable one and likely one I'll share with my son as he likes creating music. This will be a common rewatch for me in the years to come.

Yes, I'll recommend it.

Comments