M3GAN (2022)

This one is now on Peacock so I had to bite. It was one I was only mildly interested in before as I'm all about Chucky.

The story centers on a young girl who loses her parents in a car accident so she has to go live with her aunt. Her aunt works at a toy company and is trying to create the next big thing with a fully capable android today learns. As we know AI can never, ever go wrong, for some reason, it goes horribly wrong.

This film was a little more lighthearted so it wasn't a horror film in the traditional sense. There were some comic elements to it. Surprisingly, one of my biggest complaints is that I actually wanted MORE. Usually I complain about run time but this one would have benefitted from another fifteen minutes, IMHO.

It all comes down to M3GAN as she was practical effects. If they had tried to make her CGI I don't think it would have worked. The way she was, however, had a creep factor to it. She looked just 'off' enough that you wanted to keep your eyes on her to make sure she was behaving.

Overall, the story was fun enough to keep me watching. I am looking forward to a potential sequel. Not sure how it would work, but they could just go the Chucky or Small Soldiers route and have a factory of them. We'll see.

Yes, I'll recommend it as it was more fun than I expected.

Comments