Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)

Since my son and I are going through the Batman animated series, we got to the end of season one (episode 65) and decided to watch the film that came out at that time before going in on season two.

The story follows the Bat as a new threat shows up in town to kill mob bosses one by one. Meanwhile, an old flame of Bruce's comes back to town and brings feelings that Bruce has about giving up the mantle of Batman so that he can settle down. An old enemy shows up as well and gives one of the best performances yet.

There is a reason this one gets rated so highly. The story is strong and all of the actors are at the top of their games. It drove me crazy that I couldn't recognize Abe Vigoda's voice! Every time he was on screen I kept trying to figure it out.

They were let off the hook with the rules a little in this one which gave it a darker tone. It also allowed for a bit more philosophical insight into the role of Batman and his ability to get close to people.

Overall, it was a pleasant viewing and holds up with the best of the Batman films, animated or live action.

I'll definitely recommend it.

Comments