Violent Night (2022)

Now that this is streaming on Peacock I decided to jump in. I almost wanted to see it in theaters but decided against it.

The story follows a 'less than jolly ' Santa Claus who is fed up with Christmas. As he is delivering toys, he ends up at all overly rich 1% family house. The thing is, it is under siege by thieves who are attempting to steal $300 million in cash. Santa teams up with a little girl and works to stop the naughty thieves in the most violent way possible.

I wanted to like this one more than I did. There were parts I enjoyed, for sure, but it almost felt like it was written by two different writers. The flow kept getting thrown off for me. I think a large part of it is that I didn't care if the family lived or died. Heck, in some cases I hoped for the latter! There were just parts that I was bored with.

David Harbour played an entertaining version of Santa. I have no complaints with his performance. Otter than him, however, the rest is the cast was easily interchangeable. The young daughter did a good job. John Leguziamo was fine. But overall, there just didn't care. If the film ended up with just Santa and the little girl at the end, I would have been ok with that.

I'll likely watch it again several years down the road but it does not make my annual 'must see' Christmas film list so my recommendation is that it is worth a viewing but it didn't meet my anticipation for it.

Comments