The Producers (2005)

Since I watched the original a couple of weeks ago, I felt it was time to revisit the musical.

The story is the same as the movie in that the two hapless producers figure out that making a flop Broadway show can actually earn them more money than a hit. To do so they get the worst script, director, and actors to be certain they fail and get to keep the investor's money.

I'm mixed, now, seeing the two back to back. The original had a single song in it which moved the film forward. The new one is a capture of the actual Broadway musical with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick (side note: Timon and Simba). Each have good and bad to them. If there was some way to merge them it could be a fantastic film.

With the original, the pacing was my issue as it took forever to get to the main event. For the musical, it loses steam a little after it is half over. The last thirty minutes take a long time to waddle through. The original had great performances and Gene Wilder was a better Bloom. The chemistry between Lane and Broderick was better though.

Overall, it was a lot of fun to watch both versions back-to-back as the new one paid definite homage to the original. Before watching it again I was sure I liked the new one better but now I think they are about even.

P.S. It's difficult to picture Nathan Lane as a straight guy so that didn't quite work, especially in regards to jealousy over Ula

Yes, I'll recommend it. I just wish it ended sooner.

Comments