Be Kind Rewind (2008)

This one has been on my radar for awhile and I finally got around to viewing it.

The story is of a VHS rental store owner whose building is being gentrified but he is given two months to get things fixed up or he'll be evacuated. As he goes out to do some research, he leaves the store in the hands of an employee (and, by partisan, his friend). In a freak accident, all of the tapes in the store get demagnetized so all videos are wiped. To fix it, they end up recreating the films themselves with incredibly low budgets and what they remember about the films. As their popularity grows, other factors come into play.

While this wasn't a great film, it did have parts that were fun. I think the big problem is that it tried to be three different films at one. On one hand, it dealt with the owner struggling to survive. On another, it was the two friends making the films and growing in popularity. On the third, it was about creating a documentary about a jazz musician. If they had really focused on any of these, it would have made for a more coherent film.

Overall, it was a decent film but not one I feel I need to revisit much in the future. The concept was fun but it just didn't play through. I know there is a YouTube channel that has the cheap film reproductions which I am sure is a playoff from this film.

I'll recommend it but it's more of a curiosity viewing than a necessary one.

Comments