Almost Heroes (1998)

One of the few Chris Farley films I hadn't seen. I avoided it for a long time because of the bad reviews. Guess I should have just stayed away as they were right.

The story is of two alternate explorers to Lewis and Clark who are attempting to get to the Pacific Ocean before them. They are idiots and have an idiot crew. 'nuff said.

The sad thing is, this was Farley's last film and it wasn't released until five months after his death. Both him and Matthew Perry had a lot of problems with substance abuse during the filming. It's difficult for me to watch this one as I'm a fan of Chris Farley and to know what he was going through makes me more depressed about the film. You can see some of it in his weight and physicality as he constantly struggled with his weight and addictions.

What blows my mind is that this was a Christopher Guest film. I'm almost always a big fan of his work but I don't know what happened here. I'm guessing he had a vision but had to deal with on set problems for the majority of the film, taking away from the ability to shoot what he wanted.

Sadly, I would say to avoid this one like the plague. Instead, go back and watch Farley in Tommy Boy for the umteenth time and see him at the height of his comedic genius.

Comments