Your Name. (2016)

I heard good things about this one but was unfamiliar with the director. Picked it up a few weeks back. I go for the subtitled versions, in case you care.

The story is about a teenage boy and girl who randomly swap bodies. They are from Tokyo and a rural Japanese village. As they swap, they learn more about each other as they live each other's lives. There is a twist to the equation, however, and it is one that will make a big impact on each.

It's hard to write a spoiler-free review as there are things that happen that are unexpected and a welcome take on the fantasy and science fiction realms. It is not your traditional Freaky Friday kind of scenario and as the story unfolds, it becomes more and more interesting.

I looked it up afterwards that this film was created and filmed by the director. It was obviously a labor of love for him and it shows.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. I wish I could say more about what goes on but it's better to go in blind. It does jump right into the main idea so be prepared for a little confusion in the beginning (which is likely intentional).

Yes, I'll definitely recommend this one.

Comments