Troll (2022)

Pre-note: I consider myself Scandinavian as much of my ancestry comes from this region so a Norwegian film about a giant troll is automatically on my radar.

As I had time this morning, I wanted to dive into Netflix's new Norwegian film, Troll. The trailers had me right away and I wasn't disappointed with the film. Much like the 2010 film Trollhunter and the fantastic Netflix series Troll Hunters, I'm sold.

The story focuses on a dig site in which a giant mountain troll is unearthed and it comes to life to wreak havoc on the Norwegian countryside. For some reason a paleontologist, of all people, is called in to determine what is causing the damage. Turns out that her and her father had some history believing in trolls. The Troll is on a mission to find her king and tears up the country on her path there.

This one had a lot of King Kong vibes to it not only because the Troll was massive and causing damage, but also because there is a sympathetic note to the creature. There is more to the picture than meets the eye. As the military try to take it down there are moments where you want the Troll to be successful!

Overall it was an entertaining film that was better than I expected. It's not that I didn't expect it to be good but that extra layer added to the viewing experience.

Yes, I'll recommend this. (And if you haven't seen Trollhunter, I'd recommend going back and watching that one as well and, no, they are not connected).

Comments