Three Thousand Years of Longing (2022)

The concept behind this one interested me and I'm a fan of Idris so I decided to check it out.

The story is about a woman who, while traveling abroad, finds a bottle with a Djinn inside. She is content with her life so doesn't feel a need to make any wishes. She also realizes that all stories of wishes end poorly so she's not in a hurry to do anything. Instead, the film behind one of the Djinn telling his tales of how he became a Djinn, love along the way, and his life.

It was interesting and unique. The stories were all interesting and well told. There were also months of history, particularly of the Ottoman Empire that added a layer of history to his story.

I'm not really a fan of Tilda Swinton so it was harder for me to like her character. However, Idris Elba did an excellent job, as always, and thankfully the story was more about him.

Overall it was worth a viewing. I don't know if I'll revisit it in the future. It does have some good ideas about love and isolation so it had that going for it. I did feel like the ending just kinda...happened.

Yes, I'll recommend it.

Comments