The Producers (1967)

I'd see the remake before but never the original so I felt like it was time to check out this Mel Brooks classic.

The story is about a Broadway producer and an accountant who realize that, if they make a complete flop, they can close the play after one showing and make a bundle. To do so they hunt down the worst script, worst costumer, and worst actors with the full intent of it being a disaster of epic proportions.

There was some solid humor in here, as one can expect from Mel Brooks, but it didn't have the same feel as the remake, which I liked better. Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder were funny together but Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick had a better chemistry.

The high point of both versions, however, was the musical number "Springtime for Hitler" and both were laugh out loud funny.

Overall I think the newer one has better flow and chemistry but that's not saying this one was bad, by any means. It still has its moments and it was funny.

I will recommend it but if you are going to choose, I'd pick the 2005 version over this one.

Comments