The Nice Guys (2016)

I had been told this was a good one and I'm a fan of Russell Crowe so I decided to finally jump in.

The story is of a muscle man and an idiot private eye who end up crossing paths when one is told not to look for a girl and the other is paid to look for her. As things unveil, it ends up these two unlikely allies must work together to find her. There is more to it than this, but to tell it would give spoilers.

The chemistry between Crowe and Gosling was pretty solid. They worked well together. My only other real comparison for Gosling was La La Land which I couldn't stand. Thankfully, the Crowe component had me watch.

There was some OK humor in it. Nothing LOL but I did chuckle a few times. They didn't make Gosling's character SO stupid that he was unbelievable, they did it just enough to make him entertaining as a bumbling private eye. Crowe does Crowe and it made me want to watch Unhinged again. He may be dad bod Crowe now, but he's still menacing.

The story was where I didn't connect as much. It felt like Beverly Hills Cop meets 48 Hours. The typical 'something bigger is happening' storyline which has been done a bunch before. It wasn't anything new, in regards to this.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It wasn't one I have to revisit often but I will likely see it again down the road. Maybe I'll do a buddy themed marathon one day that this will belong to.

Yes, I'll recommend it.

Comments