Confess, Fletch (2022)

I'm a big fan of the old school Chevy Chase versions of Fletch so I thought I'd give Jon Hamm a chance.

The story follows Fletch as he arrives stateside only to find a dead woman in his rented apartment. For the rest of the film, he uses his investigative reporter skills to try to figure out who actually did it and why. Along the way he has run ins with two detectives.

One thing I sometimes forget is how good Hamm's comedic timing is. Most know him from his serious dramatic acting in Mad Men but he knows how to land a line in comedy. Surprisingly, the film didn't use Roy Wood, Jr. to his full extent.

I'm torn on this one. The first two-thirds are fairly well crafted but the third act kinda fell flat for me. It felt like it was overly rushed. When the killer and motive were funny revealed, I just didn't care anymore. It just seems like they were building to something good and then lost that momentum.

Overall it was a fun film and Hamm did well in the role. He's no Chevy Chase, but he held his own. Other than that the only other actor that was kinda good was the female detective.

I'll recommend it but you don't need to put it at the top of any viewing lists.

Comments