Bros (2022)

I had first heard about this one when Billy Eichner was on Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend and he was so energetic and passionate about it that I figured I had to give it a shot. Normally I balk on Rom-Coms as they are all the same. Thankfully I didn't on this one as it turned out to be a solid film with a good sense of heart and comedy.

The story is about Bobby (played by Billy Eichner) and Aaron (played by Luke Macfarlane) going through the ups and downs of a gay relationship. Bobby is a podcaster of LGBTQ+ content who basically thinks that he will never have a lasting relationship and is OK with that. Aaron is more of a low-key gay guy from the farmlands. They manage to get together and it then follows the relationship and trials and tribulations both face as Bobby is loud and confident and Aaron is more subdued and doesn't like challenges.

One of the reasons I also went for this one is that Eicher talked about it on Conan and the entire cast (and I believe crew if I remember correctly) are LGBTQ+. It gave an air of authenticity to the entire project as this wasn't the direction they were going at the offset but then the lightbulb came on and it happened.

One of the reasons I liked this one a lot is that the typical Rom-Com always has the predictable plot. This one had a little bit of that but the relationship between the two main characters was more 'real' than the movies usually make them out to be. Usually there is writing in Rom-Coms that makes me gag. This one, thankfully, did not have much of that.

Another thing was the comedy. There were some great LOL moments in it. I particularly found mention of Schitts Creek (a couple of times) hilarious! The comedy didn't feel 'forced'. Side note, the first time I saw Eichner was in Parks and Recreation and I've enjoyed his persona ever since.

Overall there is a touching relationship between the two leads and it carried over. For the homophobes, they will probably not like it but for those who don't fear the LGBTQ+ world, it does a great job of showing that love is love.

Yes, I'll definitely recommend this one.

Comments