Black Adam (2022)

HBO Max had this one now, after several weeks in the theater, and I usually like The Rock, so I jumped in. Ummm...

The story is about Teeth Adam, an overpowered variation on Shazam, who is brought back to life after five thousand years of being 'away'. He starts killing, yes killing, bad guys left and right and really can't control his power or rage. In an effort to stop the continual joking, the Justice Society drops in to stop him. There is also a bad guy but he's so easily forgettable, he really doesn't matter one bit.

I'm middle of the road leaning towards dislike on this one. With how fun Shazam was, Black Adam was the complete opposite. I didn't care about ANY of the characters. I did sorta like Doctor Fate but that's because I only had a cursory knowledge of his powers and he was pretty cool. Other than that, Hawkman is too bitter and angry and the other two members are easily forgettable.

Overall, it had little going for it and I can see why it didn't make nearly as much as expected in the theater. I really hate that we are kinda in a DCU/MCU hole right now with the good films few and far between. We're far past the lead up to Infinity War and are on a major downhill slope.

I'll only really recommend this one to those who feel watching either universe is necessary, more than as a film that has any redeeming value.

Comments