Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)

Back to Brosnan but we get the added benefit of Michelle Yeoh this time around. From the end of Moore, now is the time I really got into James Bond and shared that connection with my dad as we saw them in theaters together. (As I do with my son with the MCU films).

This one was about a megalomaniac news mogul who was using his satellite network to create the news so he could report on it before it happened. In an effort to be the biggest source of news across the globe, he attempts to create a war. Bond and his new alter ego from China have to stop the bad guy and save the world.

One thing this one had going for it is that Michelle Yeoh played the Chinese equivalent of Bond which made it feel a bit like The Spy Who Loved Me which is in my top list of Bond films. She was believable as a Chinese secret agent and gave Bond a run for his money.

An extra bonus is that this is the third film with Joe Don Baker! :)

The story wasn't as strong in this one but there were some good scenes. The motorcycle chase scene stood out, in particular, and I know they brought the idea back in Daniel Craig's second Bond film. (Maybe the first, I might be remembering incorrectly).

Overall it was an entertaining one. Brosnan does a good job at playing Bond. He's got just enough of a 'manly' vibe while being about to tell dad jokes with a grin and a nod. One thing that does drive me crazy about films, in general, during this time period is that they use CGI but it's still in the early stages so it's incredibly hokey.

Yes, I'll recommend this one.

Comments