The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)

This one shoots up the list to number two (so far). I don't know if I just had it in my head for so many years that Sean Connery was the embodiment of James Bond but Roger Moore is giving him a run for his money.

This one is about a bad guy, named Stromberg, who is attempting to rebuild the world. He believes the oceans are the future and will do everything he can to make it that way. In the process he captures a couple of nuclear submarines which means Bond must stop him. Along the way Bond meets his alter-ego in the KGB.

This one had one of the strongest stories so far. It was more fluid than many of the other Bond films. It also had my new favorite Bond girl with agent XXX. Barbara Bach did a great job playing her (except for the accent which kept coming and going) and it was fun to see an equivalent peer for Bond.

This one also had since great locations. I do, however, find it amusing how many times the bad guys have killer sharks on hand.

This one also has one of my favorite sidekicks, Jaws, played by the one and only a Richard Kiel. He doesn't say a word but his mere stature coupled with the menace of those metal teeth made him a worthy opponent to Bond. At this point in my marathon I don't know if I like Jaws or Odd Job more (although I lean towards Odd Job).

I put this film just barely behind Goldfinger. It's one of the reasons to watch the franchise and is very entertaining.

Yes, I'll recommend this highly on the franchise list.

Comments