Smile (2022)

Decided to take advantage of my Paramount+ streaming service and watched this one today. It's a horror movie so it's pretty much a sure thing that I'll watch it. It's also practically a sure thing that I'll give it a middle of the road rating and this one holds true to that.

The story is about a psychiatrist who works at a hospital who has a manic patient come in ranting about invisible people. Things take a turn when she does something unspeakable in front of the psychiatrist. From there on out, the psychiatrist starts seeing things as well and must figure out what is going on.

The reason I call this middling is that we've seen it before. We've seen the evil entity idea. We've seen the figuring out the whys and hows before. It's nothing fresh.

That being said, the acting was pretty solid and Sosie Bacon did a great job in her role. You could almost believe she was flipping out. You could also see it from both sides of the story. The other actors were all pretty good as well but I had never seen her in a film before and she did great in this one.

Overall it had a couple of good moments. The thing is, it was so stereotypical that it was kinda boring. I almost felt like it was a rehash of one of my favorites, The Ring, but done in a far less exciting way.

I'll recommend it if you have the need to fill in with a spare horror movie but I'm not saying to rush out and see it.

Comments