On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

So I finally bit the bullet and watched this one. I always avoided it because I heard how George Lazenby we not a good Bond. Thing is, it wasn't his fault but the script writer and producers.

The story, what little there was, focused on James Bond going undercover to stop Blowfeld and SPECTRE. Blowfeld had some plan that is barely made clear but it had something to do with holding the world ransom by releasing a sterilization device. And he's at another not so secret base in Switzerland.

I will give Lazenby credit for stepping into Connery's shoes. It's not a desirable place to be but he did fine with what he had. The thing is, he didn't have anything to work with. For a two hour and twenty minute film, there was really only about twenty minutes of action. I don't HAVE to have action but if there is not, it better have a solid story, which it didn't. I found myself bored for 3/4 of the film which is not a good sign for a Bond film.

I can see why they only went one film with Lazenby before returning to Connery. Again, I really don't think it was his fault as he could have been a good return Bond.

Also, recasting Blowfeld was a poor choice, especially after he was finally revealed in the prior film. His character seemed almost like a castrated version of previous Bond films where he was an evil genius. In this one he seemed like a wannabe.

Overall I was just very disappointed in this film. The last scene, as impactful as it was, couldn't save the film. Skiing and bobsledding just don't do enough to make an interesting action/ spy film.

I'd say you can easily skip this one with no ramifications on the big picture.

Comments