Moonraker (1979)

Another in the James Bond franchise starring Roger Moore. There was definitely a drop off in writing between The Spy Who Loved Me and this one.

The story is of a rich bad guy named Drax. His intentions are not quite clear at the beginning of the film and are only really revealed in the last twenty minutes of the film. There is also a CIA agent working with/against James Bond who is trying to figure out what is going on. Jaws is also back in this one. They must figure out the bad guy's plans, find his secret base, and stop him. Wait...again!?

I mentioned Jaws is back but he's become a mockery in this film. I kept referring to him as Kenny from South Park as I kept wanting to say "Oh my god, they killed Jaws, those bastards!" only to have him pop up in the next scene, unscathed. Falling from an airplane without a parachute and surviving, yeah, that's about as bad as it gets.

I will say that the first 2/3 of this film was pretty typical James Bond. It was him trying to figure out what was going on. Then the last 1/3 just went off the rails. It got to be so hokey and cheesy it really was a parody of itself. I kept going 'pew pew pew' in the final fight scene. You'll get it when you see it.

Overall, this could have been another standard entry into the franchise but really, that last third was laughable, and not in a good way. It was more Austin Powers than James Bond.

I'd say to skip this one and you won't really miss anything.

P.S. Drax made me think he is Peter Dinklage's dad.

Comments