Werewolf by Night (2022)

What a pleasant surprise. The trailer didn't do much for me but the reviews had been pretty positive so I decided to jump in. I'm glad I did!

It's a 50-minute one-off for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) with characters most of us have never heard of. I had to wrack my brain to figure out the name of one of the characters. This one also has the great Kirk Thatcher who was a judge on The Jim Henson Creature Shop Challenge and has directed several Muppets films. (He played a role in this one).

The story is about a group of monster hunters who gather together to make a kill to get a magical item called the Bloodstone. It is up for grabs as the previous hunter has died. There is more to it than this but I can't really go into much detail without giving spoilers.

The style of the film was solid. It was a throwback to old Universal monsters and was filmed in that format. It also had a little of that camp but in a good way.

I also loved that a short film like this could do such a great job compressing a story into it without making it feel rushed. The characters had their arcs and they were all tied up with a bow. They also did a good job choosing actors as they played their respective roles well.

Overall this is going to be an essential October viewing for me from now on. It was a lot of fun and very entertaining.

If you couldn't tell, yes, I'll recommend it. Keep in mind that it MIGHT get a little intense for the youngsters as there is a healthy dose of blood and guts.

Comments