Welcome to Wrexham (2022)

So I decided to jump in on this documentary as it sounded interesting and Ted Lasso really sparked interest in UK football. I was not disappointed.

The series follows actors Rob McIlenney and Ryan Reynolds as they buy a football (soccer) team in Wales. Their goal was to not only help the team move up in the ranks, but to help the community (Wrexham) surrounding it. The show focuses on the team, the players, the fans, and more. Over the course of the series (so far) we get an inside look into what it takes to help a team improve and possibily up their lot in the leagues.

Prior to this, I knew very little about football (soccer) as a whole. My knowledge of gameplay was pretty much linked to hockey as that's the only sport I have even an inkling of interest in and only when the Colorado Avalanche get to the playoffs. So, I didn't realize that the league is broken down into tiers, each one more desirable than the last. It is like an AAA level of baseball all of the way up the major leagues. Wrexham holds the bottom tier in which players make pretty much less than minimum wage while players at the highest levels make millions of pounds per year.

The way in which this documentary presented itself gave the viewer some insight into life in Wales, being a die hard football (soccer) fan, and the ups and downs of following the team through good times and bad. It was nice in this respect as it was more than just recaps of the matches.

Of course, the other big thing is that Ryan Reynolds and Rob McIlenney were a big part of the equation. If it was JUST a documentary about the team, it likely wouldn't be so interesting. Ryan and Rob did a really good job making it about Wales and the community. They were also building a brand which basically led to them hemmoraging money, but the resulting connection to the town is worth it, IMHO. (I say that being broke ass, knowing Reynolds has millions from all of his films).

There was a lot of heart in this documentary. I hope they continue to follow the team and fans for as long as they can. I am not a sports guy but I enjoyed it very much and it was fun to follow. ALMOST makes me want to watch a match or two but, in reality, it is highly unlikely that will ever happen.

Just a heads up, this show is NOT Ted Lasso so don't go in with that expectation. (P.S. You may see him (Jason Sudekis) at some point during the show)

Yes, I'll recommend it and I very much look forward to a second season.

Comments