The Voices (2014)

Almost forgot to put in my second film viewing for today. Trying to clear my individual horror films that I haven't seen so I went into this one..I also did it blind as I only knew it was a horror film.

The story is about a guy, played by Ryan Reynolds, who seems normal but does talk to his dog and cat. As the film goes on, it starts to become clear that there is more to it. I can't go into too much detail without giving away anything but I can say he loves one of his coworkers.

This was an interesting departure for Reynolds. We've come to know him pretty much as the 'good guy' in most cases. In this one, there is a twist to that stereotype of him.

It also stars Anna Kendrick who I adore. She is one of Reynolds co-workers.

His cat and dog are a big part of the equation, as well. The dog, however, is often played for comedy alone. That being said, each animal plays a role in making their owner who he is.

It's hard to recommend this film. On one level it is pretty disturbing. On another, it's different enough to be it's own thing which is a good thing in this day and age.

I'm going to go ahead and recommend it. If you want a dark look into the mind of Reynolds, this is it.

Comments