The Murmuring (2022)

In the final installment of the Cabinet of Curiosities, Jennifer Kent takes over directing which is a good thing. I wasn't quite sure what to think of this episode at first but it did cement my love of her directing skill. I just wish she'd make more.

The story is about a couple of ornithologists who student a particular bird and its patterns of flight, which is called The Murmuring. The couple had recently, a year earlier, lost a child and are still in mourning. They end up at a house far away from civilization to study the birds. The longer they stay, the more the wife connects to the house.

This was a slow burn episode. I thought it might have been a bit too slow but it finally reached its peak at the end and it was solid. It reminded me a lot of Kent's other film, The Babadook, which I am a fan of. It deals with depression and loss.

Much like her other two films, it's hard not to feel compassion for the characters and what they went through. I just wish she'd direct more!

Yes, I'll recommend this one.

Comments