The Gate (1987)

Trying more of the horror films I've purchased over the last few years but never seen before which brings me to The Gate.

This one is about a boy, his sister, and his best friend who inadvertently open a gate to a demon hell in the backyard of their suburban home. As the requirements for a full-on invasion of hell on Earth builds over the course of the film, so too does the danger. It's up to these few to stop the demons from taking over.

This one was a (mostly) pleasant surprise. It wasn't fantastic, but it did have enough going for it that it is now on my radar. Everyone knows I'm a fan of practical effects and stop-motion and we get a bunch of each later in this film. There are actually some good camera tricks with demon minions that made me wonder how they filmed them.

It does take a bit to get going. Really most of the good stuff happens in the last twenty to thirty minutes. There can also easily be comparisons with Poltergeist which was made five years prior to this one. The setting, the end result, the building of intensity, all were components that had a familiar setting. This is also very much an 80s film in the way it was filmed, the pop culture, and more.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It was fun. It also made me reminisce about the 80s and cheesy 80s films, especially when it came to "horror". That being said, if it hadn't been for the practical effects and the stop-motion, it wouldn't have been nearly as good.

Yes, I'll recommend this one, especially if you grew up during this timeframe.

P.S. It starred Stephen Dorff in his first big movie role.

Comments