Raymond and Ray (2022)

Apple TV+ has done done excellent films. CODA and Greyhound were two of my favorites. The seem to have less content with higher quality. Then came Raymond and Ray.

The story is about two brother, Raymond and Ray, who find out their father had died so they decide to go to the funeral, against their better judgment. The story really focuses on these two very different brothers as they deal with the death of an abusive father.

That is really about it. It's these two, played by Ewan McGregor and Ethan Hawke, who talk about the past the entire film. They both did good in their respective roles, but they had an uphill battle.

Why?

The script. It was so long-winded and boring. At the hour mark I looked at how much time was left and I groaned. I almost had another 45 minutes to go. But I stuck with it, hoping for something...anything...to happen. Spoiler: it didn't.

The movie just dragged on and on and, at least to me, never really got to the point. The chemistry between these two main actors was solid but the script killed any sense of me giving a crap about the characters.

I don't even have an 'overall' for this one. I'm not recommending it. Go watch Trainspotting or Gattaca if you want to watch these actors at some of their best. You'll thank me for it.

Comments