Nope (2022)

Finally got around to watching this one. I like the Jordan Peele movies so far but the trailer to this one didn't do much for me. Funny enough, the trailer didn't do any justice to anyone as it is almost a bait and switch.

The story is about a brother and sister who own a stunt horse ranch. When horses start disappearing, they take it upon themselves to find out why. With the help of the equivalent of the Geek Squad, they set up cameras around the ranch to capture the culprit. Things aren't quite what they seem, however.

The good thing for this film is that, based on the trailers, I went in expecting one thing and it surprised me. It was unique and different enough to be something of its own category. This is a good thing in this day and age and Peele is pretty good at it.

There was a separate storyline from the past which I felt was just left hanging. It was actually the most compelling part of the film, for me, for a large portion of it and it doesn't feel like there is enough reason as to why it happened in the first place.

The other negative is that the sister character was super annoying to me. Not enough to hurt the overall film but enough that when she was the main focus of a scene I just wanted to hit her mute button. HA!

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It's not super-fantastic, but it is worthy of recognition. I'm glad I finally got around to seeing it.

Yes, I'll recommend it.

Comments