It Follows (2014)

Continuing my horror films I haven't watched marathon. Today was this one. I went in with high hopes as it gets a high Rotten Tomatoes rating. I am torn on it.

The story is about a girl who is going out with a guy and they finally do the dirty deed. In the process, a 'curse' is passed on to her where an evil entity, who can shapeshift, will follow her until she passes it on to someone else. Oh, and this entity cannot be seen by anyone that doesn't have this curse.

I'll go with the good, first, so I don't seem like I'm ragging on the film as a whole. The cinematography was interesting and there were some good shots. There was also some good tension and creep factor for a large part of the film. These were both solid and I enjoyed them.

Now for the (minor) spoiler which ruined the film for me. To get rid of the 'curse', you have to sleep with someone else which passes it on. Thing is, if that person dies, it comes back to you. So, the moral of the story is, slut it up. Yeah, it's as stupid as it sounds.

Honestly, if they had just left it a mystery, or even connected it to some gypsy curse or something, it would have made a lot more sense and been a lot cooler. Instead, this lame ass attempt to say that sex is the tool to get rid of it makes it too dumb to overlook, which is a shame. Had they just made it mysterious or, hey, even not explained it, it would have been a pretty good horror film.

Overall this one could have been fairly high on my lists of horror films as it had some good components. Sadly, it falls far flat and it is a one-time viewing for me.

No, I will not recommend this one.

Comments