Cooties (2014)

I wanted a fun break from the Saw films so went as silly as I could with Cooties. I had not seen this film before and went in almost 100% blind. Then I realized Alison Pill starred in it and I cringed as I can't stand her acting. Thankfully there were more comedy names including Elijah Wood, Rainn Wilson, Jack McBrayer, and Jorge Garcia, to name a few.

The film is a generic cannibalistic spread disease type of film but it only affects children. These students are attending summer school (prior to the breakout) and the story focuses on them and the educators. As the disease spreads through the playground the educators have to survive or be eaten alive.

I wanted to like it more than I did. There were some good one-liners in it that I can see being catchy but the comedy did not land for me. I did get a few laughs out of it but it should have been a lot funnier with the cast they amassed. I hate to say it but my bias against Alison Pill kinda hurt my overall take on the film as she was just as annoying in this one as she is in everything I've seen her in.

I think they were trying to play off of the comedy/horror genre but it felt rushed. Don't let my opinion on this one sway you, though, as there were some funny moments, especially as an educator. I just hoped for more. There is probably a reason it was only $1.66 in a recent Vudu sale.

I will recommend it for the one-liners alone. Plus there is one hilarious joke from another film reference.

Comments