Better Off Dead (1985)

Back to this classic. It has not been available on streaming digital so when I saw it pop up on iTunes last week, I snatched it up!

This one is about Lane, a teenage skier, who is infatuated with a girl named Beth. Beth, however, has since dumped him for the ski instructor who conquerer the K12, the most dangerous peak. The rest of the film is Lane attempting to get the girl back, leading to the eventual confrontation with the mountain.

It's been awhile since I had last seen this but I have such fond memories of it, it was like I had just seen it yesterday. There are so many great one-liners in this one, I forgot just how many of them I use in the course of my life. I had forgotten, however, how hilarious Kim Darby was as the mother. She had some of the best comedic moments and lines in the film, by far. It also starred David Ogden Stiers as the hapless father and he was hilarious as well.

I think one of the things about this film is that it is timeless comedy. It covers a lot of the stuff we've all gone through in our lives which makes it funnier. The odd friends, the different scenarios, the love of a first crush, etc.

Overall I still really loved this film and will be sure to see it again in the future.

Yes, I'll recommend it.

Comments