2001 Maniacs (2005)

So, yeah, I am continuing my horror movies I've bought but never seen before marathon. Today was for 2001 Maniacs and, well, Robert Englund can't save them all.

This one focuses on a few small groups of friends (unconnected) who take a detour on the way to Spring Break and end up in the backwoods of South Carolina (at least I think it was). They are greeted, in a most friendly and unusual way, by the mayor of Pleasant Grove and are invited to stay as honored guests. The longer the guests stay, the more things seems suspicious. Deaths ensue.

I've always been a fan of Robert Englund from both A Nightmare on Elm Street and the old TV mini-series V. He's just fun to watch. Sadly, his character was way too over the top and obvious. It doesn't help that he wears a patch of a Confederate flag over one eye. As much as I wanted to like him in the role, I didn't.

The other thing about this film is that it was cheese and not the good kind. It was so campy it was distracting. There was a small cameo by Eli Roth, one of the producers. There was an even smaller 'blink and you'll miss it' cameo by Kane Hodder, who was literally on screen for a single second.

I also like practical effects, but half of them were decent and the other half looked like they were done by first year university students. It did not add to the already campy story.

Overall it is one of those films I will easily forget, which is a little sad. It does make me curious about the original film, however.

No, I will not recommend this one, not even for the cheesy / campy nature of it.

Comments