Vengeance (2022)

Since I got the Peacock year for $20, I figured I'd tune in to this one. From what I've seen in the past, B.J. Novak does a good job with writing and directing so I went with that. I am pretty sure I went into this one blind.

The story is about a somewhat self-absorbed New York writer who gets a call out of the blue saying that his girlfriend died. She isn't really his girlfriend but he gets guilted, by her brother, into attending the funeral in Texas. From there he realizes there is a potential story about America and starts to record for a podcast in the hopes of making his opus work. Along the way he meets family members and a range of characters as many believe it was a murder, rather than an overdose.

I enjoyed it. It was different and there are some good statements about society as a whole. The scene with Ashton Kutcher in the recording studio brought up some good philosophical statements about where we are as a country. There was also a lot of heart in the film as he goes around and meets a bunch of Texan locals who each have their own personalities.

I do have a gripe with the whole Whataburger idea, however, as they praise it to high heaven but, since it came to Colorado Springs, it is one of the WORST fast food burgers I've had. (They are opening up a second location this week which is on the way home from driving my son home from school). I don't understand the obsession with Whataburger or In-n-Out as both are sub-par, IMHO.

I liked the way the story played out. It did have a sense of mystery and purpose while still having character development. There was a slight sense of humor in it, as well.

Yes, I'll recommend this one. It is certainly worth the time.

Comments