Seed of Chucky (2004)

This is the first in the series that I hadn't seen prior to this viewing. I wanted to like it more than I did but that doesn't mean it was bad, it just wasn't as good as some of the others.

In this one, Chucky and Tiffany's child sees that Hollywood is making a horror film starring the two dolls and he makes his way there to meet them. They are animatronic but, guess what? They come back to life (SHOCKER!). In this one it gets a little meta as one of the stars is the actress Jennifer Tilly playing herself while, at the same time, voicing Tiffany. John Waters also has a small cameo in the film.

I think my 'problem' with this one is the child (see what I did there?). He/she didn't really add anything to the overall story. If there was no child it would't have made a lick of difference. The other thing is that Tiffany comes to the realization that killing might be an addiction and treats it as so, making her character far less interesting.

The other complaint I have is that the story seems to be missing something. There are major ideas that aren't explained to the point to where I understood or cared. It seemed to drop the ball in the third act, at least for me. I'm not saying that any of the Child's Play films are Shakespeare, but in previous movies they all interconnected and had decent stories for what they were. This one was written and directed by Don Mancini so maybe the combination of the two was what made it feel lesser than the other films. It's still better than Child's Play 3, but falls to the bottom elsewhere.

I did, however, like the humor in this one. There were plenty of LOL moments for me. I think my favorite had to do with a 'capture' of The Shining and Chucky's response to it.

Overall, it was still fun but the addition of the child just didn't do it for me. Jennifer Tilly playing herself was a lot of fun though. (Hard to believe she's 13 years older than me!)

Yes, I'll still recommend it but it's not a high recommendation, more of one to continue watching if you like the series.

Comments