Leprechaun (1993)

Well, I've decided it is time to go back into the franchise mode and go through a couple of them. Leprechaun was the lucky winner of the first one (with Chucky to follow). I have seen both the first and second films before but the other six will be new to me.

This first one stars Jennifer Aniston in one of her first roles. It also stars the always great Warwick Davis. As a side character, Mark Holton, aka Francis from Pee Wee's Big Adventure, was also in this one.

The story, what there is of it, focuses on a leprechaun who is captured and his gold taken. He is imprisoned and ten years later, accidentally released and dead set on getting his 100 pieces of gold back. Yeah, not a deep story.

iTunes, where I have this in my collection, labels it as a comedy. I can see that. There are certainly moments that are so bad they are funny. I knew, going into this, that I wasn't expecting an amazingly structured movie with intricate plots or acting. Instead, I knew that this was cheese whiz on a whole different level. I can suspend my disbelief on these films because they are so bad they get to be good.

One thing that did drive me nuts, however, is the continuity. OK, so this may be the first film some of the crew has ever worked on. They are green to the process. But, honestly, the continuity was horrible. It could just be the editor but someone really had to notice. It's MST3K-worthy!

Will I recommend this? Well, yes and no. Yes because it is one of those films that just has to be seen to be believed. That and Warwick Davis is fun as the Leprechaun. No because it is so bad, if you take it with any seriousness you won't enjoy it. So, it's a mixed bag. Now, on to the other seven films!

Comments