Green Lantern: Beware My Power (2022)

Why is it the DC animated films are always so much better than the live-action schlock? This one proves that point as it was a really good entry into the film library. They had a great storyline and executed it well.

The story is about John Stewart (no, not that one), who becomes the latest human iteration of the Green Lantern for reasons unknown. Hal Jordan is presumed dead since the ring finds Stewart. He gets pulled into a planetary battle between two groups and as he goes about it, new truths are revealed. I can't say much more than that. (I will say that the movie poster gives away too much, however).

I do have one small complaint about how fast Stewart picks up on his powers. Yes, the ring gives him some guidance and a 'how-to' set of instructions but it takes just a couple of hours for Stewart to gain the grasp of what he now has. Actually, I have one other complaint but I can't really address it here as it would give away too much. It has to do with Oa and the Green Lanterns but I'll leave it there.

This one did a great job with pacing, character development, setting up a future conflict, and more. The animation was pretty tight on it and the voice actors were all good, as always. The thing I mentioned at the beginning is that the animated studios do such a great job telling the stories but the live-action studios are afraid to do anything more than the 'norm' when it comes to their audiences. I am not sure why but it is frustrating.

Yes, I'll definitely recommend this one as it is one of the best I've seen since the Apokalips War.

Comments