Elvis (2022)

Finally saw this. I almost went to see it in the theater and I wish I had. That's OK, HBO Max has it straight now and I'll pick it up for my collection once the price drops on the code.

This one was pretty awesome. I'm already a fan of Baz anyway but he did trip up on Australia so I went into this with a little fear that it would be difficult to encompass Elvis's life. I didn't have to worry, it was pretty darned good.

The story follows Elvis and Colonel Tom Parker, his manager for the length of his career as the King. It does fly by Elvis's musical rise a bit but that's really going to be my only minor complaint for the film. Tom Hanks did great as the Colonel and Austin Butler was amazing as Elvis, young and old. It eventually culminates with the death of Elvis.

As expected, they visuals, music, and flamboyant nature of Baz Luhrmann came through in spades. It was actually a bit insane near the beginning butt o think it was meant to capture the whirlwind that was Presley's life in his quick rise to stardom.

The other half focused on Colonel Tom Parker (aka Snowman). I knew a bit about him before they film and knew that he really drove Elvis to the grave, but I didn't know the full extent of it. The guy is a real piece of work. It's hard to say if Elvis would have had the same meteoric rise to fame without Parker, but his later career would certainly have benefitted without him!

This movie is close to three hours and it didn't feel like it. I actually wanted MORE and that's saying a lot! There are very few films over two hours that I enjoy but this one was solid.

If you couldn't figure it out, I'm definitely recommending this one without any caveats.

Comments