Cyrano (2021)

I'm mixed on my review for this one. It's labeled as a musical, and it does have musical numbers, but it felt like it was more of a gimmick than anything else. This one should have either been a drama/romance or a musical, but not both. That I and I think I counted the number of songs in it and, for a two-hour film, that means there was a song about once every 13.3 minutes. And that's if you count songs as individuals as one of the songs is repeated (with slightly different lyrics) at least three times.

But I get ahead of myself. This film is a retelling of the classic tale of Cyrano de Bergerac in the story of a visually 'less than appealing' person with a big brain who helps a visually 'appealing' person with not so much of a brain, get the girl. It starred Peter Dinklage as Cyrano so the little person role was the 'less than appealing' character. In it he courts Roxanne through his letters but the 'appealing' character, Christian, gets the credit.

There was a part of this film I didn't really feel needed to be explored either, with the Duke. His role wasn't really necessary to further the story. He was played by Australian actor Ben Mendelsohn, who I usually like, but the character was not that good.

Another complaint I have is one that I have similar complaints with in regards to Les Miserables (the film). Just because you get good actors does NOT mean then can sing. While I liked Dinklage and Mendelsohn in their roles, their musical ability was...let's just say they can use some voice lessons. Most of the lines were spoken with music in the background to make it seem like song.

Overall I did like the film but it could have been so much better if it had just decided on what it wanted to be. Technically, had it been a drama/romance, it might have even been Oscar-worthy. Instead, the music is a distraction and there are points you forget it is a musical until the music starts to swell in the background and you remember it is a musical!

I'll recommend it but more as a 'if you have the time' rating rather than a must see.

Comments