The Old Man Season One Review

I picked up The Old Man season one on iTunes on a whim. I saw that it starred John Lithgow and Jeff Bridges and was sold. I love both of the actors and that's enough for me.

The story is about an old CIA operative, played by Jeff Bridges, who was working, thirty years ago, with an Afghani group against Russian forces. Things became complicated and he ended up disappearing from everyone's radar to get out of the game and live a normal life. His fellow operative, played by John Lithgow, was intelligence and directly connected to the events. Now it is thirty years later and old events lead to modern day secrets coming to light. It is a cat and mouse game between Bridges and Lithgow with a lot of stuff going on in the background.

It also stars Alia Shawkat (Maeby from Arrested Development) who does great in her role, and Amy Brennerman. The only thing that was really out of place in the series was Brennerman's character as there didn't really seem to be a point to her character and it was very confusing.

My big thing with the season is that it is seven episodes. In it, there is some decent story building but I still don't quite get what happened. One of the big problems with it is that there is SO much dialogue that it gets very dry. There is so much talking and expose that it just never seems to get to the point. I found myself bored a lot of the time. Then something interesting would happen and I'd be back in.

The actors they got to play the younger versions of Bridges and Lithgow did great. They are matched perfectly to their older counterparts. The younger guy who plays Lithgow did a great job matching voice and cadence to the older Lithgow. Shawkat played her role well but even then, her character seems like it would never actually be possible.

The season ended on a solid note but I am not sure if I will continue with the series or not. The 'twist' at the end was interesting but can we really follow these characters around much longer? I don't know if they can build enough story to keep it moving forward. Who knows, I may be wrong. As expected, Bridges and Lithgow did great in their roles but is it enough to keep my interest? I guess time will tell and I haven't heard if the series will be renewed or not.

P.S. I love the dogs.

Comments