The Black Phone (2021)

Checked this one out. Blumhouse, for me, is pretty hit and miss but this was definitely a hit! Such a good and (mostly) unique thriller / horror film. The story was excellent, the pacing was great, and Ethan Hawke was a great bad guy.

The story is about an area of Denver in 1978 that has a series of kidnappings of young boys. They get taken by 'The Grabber', played by Hawke. From there they are put into a sound proof basement and who knows what happens from there. This focuses on a boy named Finney who is the most recent kidnapped boy and his experience of going through it. There are some really cool things that happen along the way.

I liken this film to a mix of The Shining, It, and Stranger Things. It has a supernatural type of element to it but not in the traditional way. I love how things continue to build over the course of the film for a solid payout.

My only complaint is that they made the dad an asshat for no real purpose. His character would have worked being a normal guy just as easily. I really can't say too much more about this one without giving away some of the 'cool' factor so I'll leave it here.

Yes, I'd recommend this one with no problems.

Comments