Cha Cha Real Smooth (2022)

I didn't need much convincing to try this one out as the Apple TV+ shows and films are generally really well done and this one did not disappoint. I went in with no expectations as I hadn't seen a trailer or heard much more about it other than some positive reviews.

The story is about a 22-year old who is very charismatic and exudes a positive energy. He becomes a 'party starter' for bar-mitzvah and bat-mitzvahs. In the process he meets a woman and her autistic daughter and they form a friendship. The main thing is that the 22-year old main character is in the process of 'finding himself'.

I got a lot of vibes of 500 Days of Summer from this one. This isn't a bad thing as I enjoyed that film as well. I think the way both films end is pretty poetic. Many times I look at 'romance' movies as horrible because they all follow the same pattern and both my wife and I are not fans of it as it usually means someone has to cheat on someone else. This wasn't really the case with this one. (Not really a spoiler)

I liked how they played out the autistic daughter. They didn't overdo it and instead made the relationship between her and the main character something positive. It's easy to play up the ASD but instead they didn't push it and instead made her a sympathetic character. I also like that it brought some awareness to those on the ASD.

Overall, I enjoyed this film. It wasn't fantastic but it was really well done. It was unique enough that it kept me interested. My only complaint was that some of the characters get drunk and decide to drive. This could have easily been left out of the film as it sends a bad message.

Yes, I'll recommend this one with no hesitation.

Comments