The Return of the Pink Panther (1975)

Today's movie of the day = The Return of the Pink Panther. This one changed out David Niven for Christopher Plummer in the role of Charles Litton.

This is the one I really remember the most. It is Sellers at his best. His slapstick and vaudeville just works. Whenever he is not on screen, I get a little bored. I just wait for his return so I can laugh again. He is silly and over the top but that's what makes him so great. Oh, and they up the French accent on this one. The Pink Panther films gave him this chance to shine.

The film is about the theft, once again, of the Pink Panther diamond. As Clouseau caught the first thief, the commissioner wants him on the case again, much to the chagrin of Chief Inspector Dreyfuss. Hijinks ensue as Clouseau travels to Switzerland to find and capture the thief.

This one includes one of my favorite segments in the series, the hotel room search. It's a long segment but there are so many hilarious components that it is just a laugh-fest. The bird is one of the best bits.

One funny thing about the films is that the original film is pretty much retroactively erased from existence. They completely change actors, they change backstory, and they act as if the first was a mistake (which it was).

Yes, I'll recommend this one as it always gives me some great laughs.

Comments